DotNetNuke (DNN) is an open-source Web Application Framework ideal for creating and deploying projects such as commercial websites, corporate intranets and extranets, online publishing portals, and custom vertical applications.
DotNetNuke is provided as open-source software, licensed under a BSD agreement. In general, this license grants the general public permission to obtain the software free-of-charge. It also allows individuals to do whatever they wish with the application framework, both commercially and non-commercially, with the simple requirement of giving credit back to the DotNetNuke project community.
DotNetNuke is built on a Microsoft ASP.NET (VB.NET) platform, and is easily installed and hosted. With a growing community of over 200,000 users, and a dedicated base of programming professionals, support for DotNetNuke is always close at hand.
- Easy to install and to host. Built on up-to-date Microsoft ASP.NET technology, and runs on various database platforms.
- Fully extensible and scalable. Suitable for a variety of projects -- from the smallest website to the largest corporate deployment. Internet or Intranet sites can be developed entirely with built-in DotNetNuke features, or can be augmented through third-party private assembly tools.
- Clearly licensed under a BSD-style license. Software can be completely incorporated, modified, and adapted to personal/business use without having to worry about legalities.
- Constantly evolving through real world trial. Open source nature of DotNetNuke allows programmers and webmasters to read, redistribute, and modify the source code, essentially evolving the software at a rapid pace. End-user suggestions result in quick improvements and enhancements to the software.
- Priority on security. Emphasis placed on validation, encryption, “bug” tracking and potential threats.
- Fully customizable. Changes can be made to portals at all levels – from basic stylesheet elements like font type, color, and bullet points, to overall site appearance. New skins and module containers can be easily applied to the site with no repercussion on content.
- User-friendly interface. Well-researched interface makes it easy for users to manage all aspects of their projects. Site wizards, help icons, and an inutuitive user interface allow universal ease-of-operation.
- Easy to access community support. With a dedicated core programming team, over 125,000 registered users, and a growing legion of third-party DotNetNuke developers, hosters, and resellers, community support is always close-at-hand.
DotNetNuke Modules - Modules are blocks of code that each present some functionality to the user, like a personnel contacts list, events calendar, or a list of announcements. The DotNetNuke portal comes with a wide variety of content modules, each designed to manage a common type of website or portal content.
Typically, several content modules are grouped on a tab to create a web page. Modules can be added, edited, deleted, restored, moved on a tab, or transfer to another tab.
The Account LogIn module permits users to log in to your portal.
The Announcements Module produces a list of simple text announcements consisting of a title and brief description.
You can select the number of banners to display as well as the banner type.
Renders contact information for a group of people, for example a project team.
Renders a group of messages posted on a specific topic.
Renders a list of documents, including links to browse or download the document.
Renders a list of upcoming events, including time and location. The events list can alternately be set to render in calendar format.
FAQs allow you to manage a list of Frequently Asked Questions and their corresponding Answers.
Feedback allows visitors to send messages to the Administrator of the portal.
IFrame is an Internet Explorer browser feature which allows you to display content from another website within a frame on your site.
Renders an image. The module simply refers to the image by a relative or absolute URL, so the image file does not need to reside within the site.
This module renders a list of hyperlinks to any tab, image or file on your website; or to a file, image or web page on another website.
News Feed (RSS)
Renders news feeds on you site. News feeds provide your visitors with up-to-date, topical information on any range of topic.
Customised searches can be configured to search one or more of the common modules.
The Survey module allows your website users complete online surveys. Survey results are rendered as a bar chart and includes the number of individual responses.
Design content in a visual editor, or add html. Includes a picture gallery of all your uploaded images.
The User Account module permits Registered Users to add, edit and update their User Account details. Membership services are also managed here.
User Defined Table
The User Defined Table allows you to create a custom data table for managing tabular information. Note that clicking on a heading reorders the data A-Z or Z-A.
There is also a wide range of free modules and enhancements to modules available from the portals of DotNetNuke community members, as well as businesses who provide modules for sale. We also provide custom module development services to extend the framework to meet all of your needs.
Within minutes downloading DotNetNuke, it is conceivable that a person with no programming skill could be piecing together a completely original, dynamic web portal. They could be creating new pages of content, using pre-built content types (modules) like announcements, discussions, events, FAQs, feedback forms, and images. They could be creating membership roles, sending bulk emails, and defining secure sections for registered site users only. They could even be setting up banner advertising, customizing the site’s appearance, and submitting the site to search engines.
Through the use of DotNetNuke and our hosting solutions, we can create and deploy a custom tailored web portal for you in hours instead of the weeks that would be required to develop a solution from scratch. This results in a lower implementation cost and quicker time to market. (The Schooner Solutions site you are using now is built on DotNetNuke.)
Contact us for details on implementing DotNetNuke for your needs today.